Sunday, September 6, 2009

A Good Example of Murphy's Law

We have had a rainy, humid, gross summer in Vermont. We started back to school last Wednesday. Every day has been sunny and near 80 since then. *sigh* Murphy's Law, I guess, which is defined by the infallible source Wikipedia as "anything that can go wrong will, at the worst possible time." So maybe I just mean that it's ironic.

I plan to enjoy it over this three-day weekend. I am contemplating a nice 4-mile walk to my parents' house today, and then making my mother drive me back home. I love the fall; it is my absolute favorite season. However, I feel like I am savoring the last bites* of summer here, and need to really enjoy it. Plus, a little exercise never hurt anyone on her weight-loss journey.

Thought it might literally hurt me. My knees have given me issues since I was about 12. I have done PT off and on for my right knee especially. I have patella-femoral chondromalatia, and know that my years of basketball and bike riding did it no favors. I really like to stay active, and my right knee has been so bad lately that walking up hills or the elliptical or just regular stairs at working are causing me significant pain.

I have an appointment with my GP on Friday, and I saw her in May about this. After trying PT AGAIN, I am thinking I may be referred to a orthopedist. My PT said that I am "really strong", and that other than improving how I stand/knee/sit to put less stress on my knee joints, there isn't a lot she can do. I bought special firm insoles for my sneakers too, but I'm not getting relief. Knee surgery freaks me out, but I just don't think I can continue normal life when I'm this uncomfortable- I'm only 27 for crying out loud!

I was talking with a friend at work who is very fit, and has some joint problems. She's a runner, and she made the observation that Fatty McFats, who sits on the couch and only walks to the fridge and back, has no join problems, because he doesn't use them at all. Women like her who are very active and slim, or even me, who is somewhat active and heavy, have the wrecked, painful joints. Doesn't seem fair, Murphy.



*I mean to type "bits", but then bites seems more poetic, and appropriate since I am food-obsessed, so I left it.

No comments:

Post a Comment