Saturday, October 10, 2009

Maine

I am headed to Maine this weekend to visit my mom's dad. He is turning 80 in March, and is the only grandfather I've ever know. I love him. But he doesn't talk.

I don't mean not at ALL...I just mean he is very taciturn and is usually happy to sit back and observe. I know how much my visiting means to him, so I go, and he is a sweet, kind man. But it is odd to travel 4 hours one way over a weekend to hang out with a guy who will probably speak less than 4 sentences.

Grandpa has always been this way, and I think I could learn a thing or two from him. Still, it's in my nature to be chatty and his to be quiet, so I think sometimes we both feel at a loss. I know that his lack of need or desire to speak is what made him able to be married to my grandmother all those year, that's for sure. Maybe there would be more peace in my household if I kept my mouth shut once in awhile.

Here's to a weekend that will prove this phrase: do not speak unless you can improve the silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment