Tuesday, October 20, 2009

My Dog is a Failure

I took my Golden Charlie to a therapy dog training session on Sunday. In my area of the country, therapy dogs might lay quietly while students read to them, or make visiting to nursing homes or hospitals. Charlie is friendly and handsome. He is also only 2 1/2 years old, which is still a very hyper young age in dog years.

The first hour of the session was the assessment, to see if the dog would pass; the second hour was a class on how to improve the areas on which the dog failed.

Charlie did not pass the assessment. He was a super boy on all but two things: he would not heel well, and he jumped up.

I am the one who walks Charlie, so I know he doesn't heel. He pulls, drags, tugs, yanks, and hauls, but he doesn't heel. And this is with a pinch collar on! FAIL ONE.

In several different instances, Charlie jumped. He jumped on a man in a wheelchair, on a man who came over to pat him, and on a group of people who surrounded him. To be fair, in the first two instances the person was patting his lap/chest and egging Charlie on. That is just too tempting to a Golden, but he must learn not to jump. In the last instance, myself and four others encircled Charlie to see if he freaked. He didn't; he just jumped up to say hi. FAIL TWO.

So, I know what I need to practice with him. I am proud of how well Charlie worked and how hard he focused. I hope someday he and I can contribute to the wonderful group that is Therapy Dogs of Vermont.

No comments:

Post a Comment