Sunday, July 11, 2010

Week 2 Day 5 of 10K Training

From Friday through this morning we camped on Burton Island. I used yesterday (Saturday) as my rest day. The camping was very good. The weather cooperated, there were s'mores, and the sites were pretty. I got a lot of bug bites, but these were from mosquitoes instead of my usual horseflies, so it felt like a refreshing change.

Today's run was 5 miles, and I thought it went fantastically. It may have been the total rest day I took yesterday. It may have been that I ran without music or my headphones in with my Nike + telling me how far I had left to run. It may have been that I had Justin drive me 5 miles away and then I ran home. It may have been that the humidity and heat have finally broken, and, thought it was hot out, (82ish), the air was breathable.

Don't get me wrong; the run was difficult. There were flies and a surprise dog ambush (he was harmless) and the setting sun was warm and my hip and knee hurt. I walked pieces of the 5 miles- 2 big hills and one flat shaded part. But I wasn't exhausted by the end. I could have kept running if I needed to, and I kept a steady pace: between an 11 and 12 minute mile except for the walk breaks. This just feels hugely successful for me.

I do believe the research that says running- well, exercise in general- it good for humans' mental health. I was bumming as I headed out the door for my run because I have to teach 4 weeks of summer school starting tomorrow. I was also in a funk because I had just finished a confusing and depressing novel. In addition, I had a bit of the post-vacation let down. Now, I feel hopeful and confident and capable. Just a little added benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment